Monday 26 September 2016

This is #Dreadtober

This week marks the start of Dreadtober, I wasn't part of the 2015 event, but I see some lovely models were built and painted, this time round I am in. Joe at Broken Paint Brush is organising this year, and he's got us off to a lovely start. A few e-mails to keep us upto date on where we should be, some articles on his own blog outlining the goals and structure of the (slightly long) month and so far a couple of links to advice for getting done what we need to get done. There is a Facebook page for the event, but most of the action seems to be taking place on Twitter, follow #Dreadtober to see it all.   The big picture point of Dreadtober is to get a model done, a Dreadnought or similar sized model, and show it off to a larger community. By all joining together to do it hopefully we'll motivate each other to finish. The nails and tacks up to the minute goal for this week is to make a plan and declare what we want to get done. So here are my goals for the month, a little on how I have arrived at them and how I hope to achieve them.   
     

Bruno Massa's recent Ultramarine Dreadnought    
  • Completely finish painting said LED filled almost dead Space Marine hero. 
  • A little (sort of) side goal of mine is to get some paint, perhaps even finish the three Angels Sanguine dreadnoughts that I built and undercoated in July. 

Brotherhood of Ancients
 
When it came to deciding what Dreadnought to build I first thought about what I had lying at home, two Ven. Dreads and a Contemptor from B@C, the Venerables lended themselves nicely to the LED idea so job done. A quick poll to my Twitter followers gave the the answer that it should be my first model towards a Deathwatch force rather tgan Dreadnought #6 for my Dark Angels, 100% of votes actually. With this in mind I needed to find a Chapter, I didn't want to go for anything I already collect (Dark Angels, Mentors or Angels Sanguine) and decided that I'd like to avoid any of the Chapters with pads in the DW Veterans box as we'll be seeing enough of them. I hit the Lexicanum pages and went a-browsing. It didn't take long for me to find the Red Hunters, with a nice simple and clear Chapter symbol, a few colours that could be used nicely with Deathwatch black and a background full of Inquisition and reasons to be interesting they were a pefect fit for a model I'd want to show off. 
 
I then briefly played with the idea of using a Dreadknight's sword for his CCW, but I decided that it wasn't the right scale for a MK.IV Dreadnought, also it looked to be a nightmare to make LED's work well. Then I questioned the WH 40k Deathwatch group on any tips for a weapon to go next to the CCW. I didn't want a Plasma Cannon as I'd just painted so many for my Dark Angels, the suggestions and thoughts helped and we ended up deciding on an Assault Cannon as I've not painted one on a Dread before and it's a nice in your fave weapon for a Dreadnought that'll be up close supporting his Battle Brothers. 
 
Next up I'll post a small piece of fluff about my Red Hunter Deathwatch Battle Brother. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot to put my Dreadnought in your article Jamie 😊😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, when I first saw your Tweet I knew I needed to try that. Dreadtober gave me a great opportunity. Your's is great work, I'll try to do it proud.

      Delete