Thursday 14 January 2016

Getting to Know the Unforgiven

I've been a Dark Angels player for only a few years. With the launch of 6th ed. I jumped on board with the Dark Vengeance starter set. Tim and I played through the intro games, he hadn't played since 2nd ed. and I'd fallen out during early 5th. We loved the games we had, the feel of the rules, the 'Forge the Narrative' attitude to play and in my case, the  Deathwing Terminators. I got a hold of the 4th ed. Dark Angels codex and made up a 1000 point list, I joined a campaign being held in my local (Oslo) GW and had the first 1000 points painted in about three weeks. The Dark Vengeance set with the Ravenwing and Company Master replaced with Belial and five more Deathwing. This was just before the 6th ed. codex release so I even converted up my own Belial.

The First 1000 points
Six-nine months later, my Dark Angel collection had grown, I'd painted most of it and was happily playing fairly often (Norway has ten weeks of paternity leave). Then with the announcement of a re-release of Apocalypse coming I cracked, the only thing that would do me was a complete Company, the Fourth would be complete. As it turned out I only needed to order a few Dark Angel and Assault Squad shoulder pads and buy another Devastator box, a good rummage of my bitz box(s) provided the other 60ish marines I lacked.   It was good times. I decided that with the Dark Angels reputation for stubbornness I'd get them terrain to stand in during Apoc games rather than transports, this had the advantage of cutting down on time I spent moving the mass of single models around. Games Workshop released some amazing terrain pieces at the time, so my Unforgiven manned a Wall of Martyrs centred around an Aquila Strongpoint (that reminds me I should get one of those Fortress of Redemption kits) and one place or another I played a good few Apoc games over the next few months. 

The Fouth Company 'The Feared' with support from the Deathwing and Ravenwing
Then came 2014, I was too busy with my son and home life to make any regular games and I felt a little cheated by the quick release of 7th edition after investing in 6th. I went from playing regular games to having one game of 40k in January over the while of 2014. :(   However, I didn't stop hobbying, just gaming. Most of the painting I did was for Bolt Action, I started a British Commando force. And the Dark Angels still got plenty of hobby time devoted to them, it was just mostly on my iPad. I'd built up the Fourth Company, now it was time to detail them, build up their fluff and turn my models into characters. The following pictures are from what I have now, details have been added over the past two years, and they got a good re-haul with the release of the 7th ed. Dark Angel codex. That involved a new Company Master name, a rank given to the character I had already leading the Dark Angels fleet, a whole extra Tactical squad in the company as I before had used Veterans in the first squad position and the new title of The Feared to the company.

I use OneNote as it allows for easy formatting on my iPad
As story, battles or the models dictate
personalities get developed





















By setting my army in the recent past I can have small changes to the fluff as suits me
Like returning Belial to the Third Company and reviving Amadascus

No comments:

Post a Comment