Saturday 2 January 2016

Jay Played: 2015 in Review

2015 was a good gaming year for me, we tried out plenty of new games, many with a Star Wars theme, played a good bit of some classics like Pandemic, Dominion and Dice Masters and finally tried out 7th ed. of Warhammer 40k.

I record all my games played on Board Game Geek which is a great feature. I not only know what and when I've played games but also note down who wins and who played etc, really fun to look back at, I have stats going back to 2012. This doesn't include time spent painting and building models or sat in front of the computer gaming. So beyond what I have here I've also been working on my Dark Angels and Mentor Legion Space Marines and played a lot of Shadowrun games from Harebrained Schemes and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, an amazing group computer game.

Here is the list of 2015's games


Clearly up in the #1 spot is D&D, my group played all the way through the beta test for DnD Next and then at the end of 2014 we started playing the Horde of the Dragon Queen adventure module. It's been great fun, we've at this point only one character remaining from the original party after some killer DM weeks in a row and have a feeling of dread as we move in to the next module of the campaign. The last few sessions of the year have been a break from the Forgotten Realms with a classic Ravenloft adventure updated to 5th ed.



The five games of Muskets & Tomahawks were all in one evening. We were playing small 200pt games (about 20 men per side), of French vs. British in the Peninsular Wars  the games were fast, bloody, fun and amazingly narrative. I'm really looking forward to finishing the two starter forces I started last year and playing more of this great game.

My biggest regrets of the year have been only getting in the one game of Bolt Action (we gave the Tank Battle rules a try) and three games of 40k. I came to the 7th. Ed. party late but am quite impressed now I've tried it. Finding the time to play miniature games is hard, but I hope to manage a little more of it in '16. 


Not a game we'll bother with again
When it come to Star Wars gaming the Fantasy Flight Games rpg has been the best of a great bunch. I've GM'd the three times I've played and really enjoyed the way the rules allow for anything to happen and really embrace the "Yes, and/No, but" attitude to roleplaying I like. On top of the great rules we have beautiful rule books and an amazing community (The Order 66 podcast and twitter are great places for support) that make it such a fun game. 

Heroic Dark Angels & wip Mentors
I hope you've all played loads of great games last year and have a ton of fun memories from doing so, please share, comment with what you've played most, what you wished you'd played more or what your best game of the year has been. Hope to hear from you, good luck over the next 365 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment